- We have visited the Children’s Book Project and received books for students at both of the schools I lead. Since the population of both schools is predominantly English Language/Dual Language learners, it is important for these children to have books available to them at home. Research shows the more frequently a child opens a book, the better reader the child becomes—and ultimately if the child is a better reader by 3rd grade, he/she will be more likely to graduate from college. So I thank you for helping our 3-6 year olds get ready for a college career! —Jane M., Zaida Rodriguez & Junipero Serra Early Education Schools, San Francisco Unified School District
- The Children’s Book Project is one of the most wonderful organizations I have ever experienced. Imagine, being a teacher and needing books for Reader’s Workshop, guided reading, thematic teaching units and take home books to send for children to read at home. The Children’s Book Project has shelves and shelves and boxes of books of every kind for schools and children, all organized by age and interest. They serve any child and teacher who needs books. What a wonderful idea and how fantastic that it is right here in San Francisco! I love the Children’s Book Project. It’s really an amazing group of people who love books like I do and want children to experience them. —Nancy H., Alvarado Elementary School, San Francisco Unified School District
- The Children’s Book Project allowed me to establish a classroom library that students were excited to go find books in. Without the Children’s Book Project, I wouldn’t have many high interest books, if any! —Grace C., AP Giannini Middle School, San Francisco Unified School District
- I have been enjoying my trip to the Children’s Book Project most every month for many years. I am thankful for all the wonderful children’s books with many choices. It’s been helping me in my Pre-K classroom as well as giving out to the many students who don’t have many opportunities to take trip to the local libraries. Children are excited and parents are grateful. Thank you very much! —Lisa F., San Francisco Unified School District
- There’s a variety of books of different genres. For a first year teacher, it really helps to start off a classroom library and to get recommendations from the staff. —James, John Yehall Chin Elementary School, San Francisco Unified School District
- Very organized and staff is very helpful. They help find specific books for our class. —Matthew N., Longfellow Elementary School, San Francisco Unified School District
- Leveled readers: new addition! Thanks for the new teacher-friendly K-2 section. —Endora L., San Francisco Unified School District
- I LOVE The Children’s Book Project! I am a reading intervention teacher and my students have been blessed beyond measure with the gift of books from you! Often, the students in my class read more than their peers in their classroom and 90 percent of them reach their reading goal every trimester! —Lara W.
- The Children’s Book Project has a great selection of books for children of all ages. They always seem to have a diverse collection of genres, including items in many different languages. My students enjoy reading them and I’m glad everything here is the “right” price! Thank you! —G.F.
- The Children’s Book Project has been instrumental in supporting the reading proficiency of students…, many of whom do not otherwise own books to read. —Lisa F.
- Thank you so much to the Children’s Book Project for helping us provide books to families who do not have access to them. By doing so, you are encouraging children…to begin their own beautiful, enlightening, and transformative relationship with literature. —Eden T., Wu Yee Children’s Services
- The Children’s Book Project has been such an amazing resource for me and for so many students at our school. My students have access to reading because of the Children’s Book Project that would not have been possible otherwise. Thank you, Children’s Book Project! —Melissa T-S.
- I am starting my own library for a classroom and…was looking for books that kids could be excited about to bring home. While I was searching around I found [a book with an unusual name in the title]. Having a student [with that name]…, I thought he would appreciate seeing his name in print. When I gave him the book he was speechless. He said thank you and sat down and we began our class. At the end of class and after all the students left, he came up and told me that I was the best teacher ever and that he loved me and gave me a hug. I told him that he was an amazing reader and I was excited to see his name and give him the book. He took three steps out of the classroom and came right back in for a second I love you and hug. You know sometimes these kids can be pretty tough, but the reward is that much sweeter! The words thank you don’t even express the gratitude I feel. That moment will be one that stays with me forever. Thank you, Children’s Book Project for providing these FREE books for teachers to inspire children everywhere to just keep going! On a side note…the staff is so helpful, happy, and a delight to talk with. I enjoyed every moment. —Megan H.
- My kids LOVE having options when they are reading. As a second year teacher, I have felt blessed to be able to offer so many treasured books to my students without breaking my bank. The staff and volunteers at the Children’s Book Project keep me coming back. They are always so friendly and helpful finding whatever books will work in my classroom. I want to instill the love of reading in all of my students and this wonderful organization has really helped me do that! When I told my kids I spent my weekend going to get them more books they squealed with joy and gave me the biggest hug. Being able to put books into kids hands is the biggest blessing to have as a teacher. Thank you, Children’s Book Project!!! —Alyssa C.
- As a teacher in the Bay Area, I could not afford to invest in a classroom library, yet I knew that an availability of a variety of books was critical to support my students’ reading. The Children’s Book Project has allowed me to create a classroom library that includes multiple levels and genres. Schools simply do not have money to support classroom libraries and our school library is very limited. Students need access to a variety of books in order to be successful. Thank you, Children’s Book Project! —Carrie C.
- We held a book Give-a-Way to celebrate National Summer Learning Day. Overall, we gave away 150 books to our youth in hope that our members will take a love for reading home to their families. A special thanks to the Children’s Book Project of SF who provided us with all of our books for the give-a-way! —Omar M., Boys & Girls Club of San Francisco, Mission Clubhouse
This is my second visit to the site. Thank you for providing a wonderful opportunity for me and fellow teachers to put engaging books in our student’s hands. Honestly, without you, my kids would have few books to read. Much appreciation from myself, the kids, and their families! Short Story: I offered students a candy or a book for a job well done. Kids chose the books! —Wendy P.